Weird kerosene smell - any thoughts????

Discussion in 'Home Matters' started by Canary_Mom, Oct 28, 2008.

Register to become a member. It's Free
  1. Canary_Mom

Canary_Mom Senior Member Plus

Today when I have used an electric appliance (toaster, oven, dryer) I have smelled a smell and the best way to describe it is that is smells like kerosene. There is no kerosene in our house. I'm concerned. Any thoughts? Anyone been through something like this.

2. lace

lace Senior Member Plus

Did you start using your heater today--ours sometimes smells unusual when we use it for the first time in a season?
  3. jerigirl

jerigirl Senior Member Plus

Are doing any work in your house? When we had hardwoods put in our house for a few days when I would use the dryer and toaster oven I would smell strange things. I think something was aggrevating the chemicals in the air.
  4. simplyme

simplyme Senior Member Plus

i'd say the heat kicking on too?
  5. MrsBlueEyes

MrsBlueEyes Senior Member Plus

Id say the heater or a gas leak.
  6. Sara&Evan

Sara&Evan Senior Member Plus

Any clue what it could be yet, Cindy? We definately get a weird "burning" smell when we first turn on our heat. Weird that you are getting it with the electrical appliances though...if it continues, call an electrician...and soon! Be safe!
  7. Canary_Mom

Canary_Mom Senior Member Plus

Figured it out! It is definitely a kerosene smell (chemical), not just a burning smell that you sometimes get when using the heater for the first time of the season. We are having the house painted. I tried to connect the painting with use of the electric appliances, but just couldn't until I did some research on line. Evidently, convection appliances absorb the fumes of oil or petroleum based type materials and when they are used, they spit those fumes back out. Makes sense. I just hate we are dealing with the smells. We even went with the greener options of primer/paint. Oh well, all you can do is try!
  8. jerigirl

jerigirl Senior Member Plus

AH HA! We were also doing some painting when we were having the hardwood floors done! Thanks for posting back your research findings! DH and I thought we were a little crazy at the time b/c we never could figure out what was causing the smell. It even made the clothes that I dried in the dryer at the time smell yucky...
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008