Veggie dip in bread bowl for baby shower??

Discussion in 'Food and Nutrition' started by BraydensMom, Mar 16, 2011.

Register to become a member. It's Free
  1. BraydensMom

BraydensMom Senior Member

I have been asked to bring a veggie dip in a bread bowl for a baby shower on Saturday. I think I am completely overthinking this. I am buying a sourdough loaf for the bread bowl, so thats covered. What I am so unsure about is the dip. Should it be hot like a spinach artichoke or cold like a dill/cream cheese? I want something simple that everyone will pretty much enjoy. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

2. zippity_38

zippity_38 Senior Member

Rather than worry about keeping a hot dip hot, I think cold is the way to go. A family favorite of ours is actually a chilled spinach/veggie dip. Here's the recipe:

1 cup mayonnaise (you can use light mayo)
    1 (16 ounce) container sour cream (you can use light sour cream)
    1 (1.8 ounce) package dry leek soup mix
    1 (4 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
    2 large carrots, grated
    3 green onions, thinly sliced (you can substitute chives)
    1/2 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    1 (1 pound) loaf round sourdough bread
    In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, dry leek soup mix, water chestnuts, carrots, green onions and chopped spinach. Chill in the refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight if you can.
    Remove top and interior of sourdough bread. Fill with the dip.

Hope this gives you something to go on... You can always take this basic recipe & improvise with it by adding roasted red peppers, or diced cucumber... whatever. It's easy & yummy.
  3. Miranda

Miranda Senior Member Plus

I always use this recipe from Knorr and it's super easy and yum-O.

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" id=ctl00_ctl00_mainContent_MainContent_ViewRecipe_rptViewRecipe class=ingredientsList border=0 cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=col1>1 </TD><TD class=col2>pkg. Knorr® Vegetable Soup Mix </TD><TD class=col3>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=col1>500 mL </TD><TD class=col2>sour cream </TD><TD class=col3>2 cups </TD></TR><TR><TD class=col1>250 mL </TD><TD class=col2>Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise, 1/2 The Fat or Cholesterol Free Mayonnaise Type Dressing </TD><TD class=col3>1 cup </TD></TR><TR><TD class=col1>1 </TD><TD class=col2>pkg. (10 oz./300g) frozen chopped spinach, cooked, cooled and squeezed dry </TD><TD class=col3>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=col1>1 </TD><TD class=col2>can (8 oz./227g) water chestnuts, drained and chopped </TD><TD class=col3>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=col1>3 </TD><TD class=col2>green onions, chopped </TD><TD class=col3>3 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Combine all ingredients and chill about 2 hours.
  4. MandyD

MandyD Senior Member Plus

I use the Knorr one also and it's wonderful! I'll have to try the one with leek soup mix too. That sounds like an interesting twist.
  5. gradtchr

gradtchr Senior Member Plus

I use the Knorr recipe too and man does it sound good right now. When I do the breadbowl I usually use the king hawaiian sweet bread MMMMMMMMMMMMM
  6. anndee1mom

anndee1mom Senior Member

I always use the Knorr receipe and the King Hawaiian sweet bread to make the bowl (& for dipping!) YUMM!!
  7. ASanders

ASanders Senior Member Plus

:yeah I think I like it best on the Hawaiian sweet bread, but it is still super yummy on veggies.
  8. Emily_A

Emily_A Senior Member Plus

Possible stupid you eat the bread bowl as well? :bag I had this one time and wonder if it was just for presentation only.
  9. Miranda

Miranda Senior Member Plus

We eat as much as we can get out of the bowl then we eat the bowl. :)
  10. BraydensMom

BraydensMom Senior Member

Thanks for the recipe; I think I am goign to make the Knorr recipe.
  11. Geree2

Geree2 Senior Member

This is the one I use ALL the time! I get a lot of yummy's when I make this. Super easy as well.