Overripe pears?

Discussion in 'Food and Nutrition' started by Gathering Blue, Sep 13, 2008.

Register to become a member. It's Free
  1. Gathering Blue

Gathering Blue Senior Member Plus

Anyone know what I can do with some really overripe pears?

2. gabdommom

gabdommom Senior Member Plus

Soooo spooky that you posted that. I just came to my computer to google for that, because I have a bunch. I will let you know what I find.
  3. gabdommom

I think I'm going to do this pear crisp:

6 large pears
    1 cup sugar
    pinch of salt
    2 tbsp. cinnamon
    2 tbsp. nutmeg
    2 sticks butter
    2 cups sifted flour
    2 cups brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F.Peel pears and cut into slices, then cubes about 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces.
    Mix pears, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and 2 tablespoons of flour in pan.
    Combine butter, the remaining flour, and brown sugar, mashing until crumbly.
    Pour pear mixture into pan of choice. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over pears.
    Bake for 35-45 minutes.
  4. gabdommom

There's also this Pear Bread:

1 c. vegetable oil
    2 c. granulated sugar
    3 eggs
    2 1/2 c. peeled and chopped fresh pears (4 med.)
    1 c. chopped pecans
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    3 c. all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar and eggs, blending well. Stir in pears, pecans and vanilla. In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stir dry ingredients into pear mixture, pour the batter into two greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4 inch loaf pans, or four greased pint canning jars 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.Cool loaves 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool on the wire racks. Bread baked in canning jars must be cooled completely before capping to prevent bacterial growth. NOTE: This is not a canning technique; bread must be frozen or eaten fresh.
    Makes Two loaves or four jars or bread.
  5. Gathering Blue

Hmmm, that pear crisp sounds pretty good. Maybe I can half it (I only have three pears).

It's a good day for baking :upthumb
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  6. Hani

Hani Senior Member Plus

I'm going to make pearsauce with mine. Lucy loves applesauce, so I hope she likes pearsauce too!
  7. Gathering Blue

I've made pearsauce twice and my kids won't eat it :(
  8. Jefinner

Jefinner Senior Member Plus

I would probably make a pear puree (no sugar) and freeze it to put into oatmeal in the mornings.
  9. delilahdr

delilahdr Senior Member Plus

You guys are reminding me of one of my favorite children's books... "Mr. Putter and Tabby Pick the Pears" by Cynthia Rylant. If you haven't read it/don't have it, you should get it!! :love

And I wish I could come over- those pear options sound delicious. I don't have any pears. :sigh
  10. shaundac

shaundac Senior Member

Pear Preserves/Jelly. My mom just made a bunch. It is soooo good.