mushrooms at Chinese buffet

Discussion in 'Food and Nutrition' started by Dina, Aug 31, 2008.

Advertising

Register to become a member. It's Free
  1. Dina

Dina Senior Member Plus

yeah, we ate at one of those huge, monster Chinese buffets today for lunch :giggle, which I happen to love!

anyway, they have these button mushrooms that I really love and have gotten before. I just don't know how they are cooked. Anyone know what kind I am talking about? They are usually whole and are in kind of a broth.

I have really been craving mushrooms lately and those were so good today. So I thought I would ask and maybe attempt them at home.

TIA!

Advertising

2. evysmama

evysmama Senior Member Plus

I think I may have a recipe in one of my Chinese cookbooks. I'm OOT at the moment, but I'll look when I get home. :)

3. Mickey

Mickey Senior Member Plus

4. Dina

Dina Senior Member Plus

no, they are just regular button mushrooms, but they are in a broth-y kind of sauce.

Thanks Michelle - hopefully you can help my craving! :lol

5. NicoleW

NicoleW Senior Member Plus

Those ARE really good! Enoki's are good too, but those I usually have just used them in soups and occasionally in stir-fry type dishes. I haven't cooked with buttons at home though. I hope Michelle has a great recipe for you!

6. Mommy2ArmyBrat

Mommy2ArmyBrat Senior Member Plus

YUM, I know exactly what you are talking about. I hope someone post a good recipe so we can make them at home. Now I want Chinese food.

7. Dina

Dina Senior Member Plus

gentle reminder for Michelle to check her recipes... :giggle
    :drool :drool

8. evysmama

Oops, sorry! I totally forgot about this! :bag

I just looked in a couple of my cookbooks, and I found a couple recipes, but not sure if they're exactly what you're looking for. Is the broth/sauce kind of brown or more light? Thick or thin?

Most of my recipes actually call for Chinese black mushrooms (****akes), but you could probably sub white button mushrooms. I have a recipe for Stir-fried Mushrooms & Bamboo Shoots with Oyster Sauce, and one for "Preserved" Mushrooms, which are actually just sauteed in soy sauce.

9. Dina

Dina Senior Member Plus

:lol at the censored mushrooms!

no problem - keep them out and I will take a look at them tomorrow. Broth is thin and brown...and yummy. Not really soy sauce tasting so maybe it is an oyster sauce?

10. Lynn

Lynn Senior Member Plus

yeah the censored mushrooms made me giggle too!!

i cant wait for the recipe...its sounds yummy!!

11. evysmama

:lol I didn't even notice that it censored my mushrooms!

12. jewelrylady

jewelrylady Senior Member Plus

Michelle....your censored shrooms cracked me up!

I'm anxious to see the recipes too....for some reason, I'm craving mushrooms and sourkraut.....go figure that combination. Guess what dip I'm thinking about bringing tomorrow......Rueben dip with rye crackers...Yummy! Will anyone else eat it with me?

13. evysmama

Oh my gosh, I've never heard of Reuben dip, but I love Reuben sandwiches (in fact, had one today at Corner Bakery) so I will totally eat it with you!!

14. artzy_fartzy68

artzy_fartzy68 Senior Member Plus

I don't know what reuben dip is, but if it has sauerkraut, I'm in!!! YUM!!!

Advertising