Is it OK to mix black & brown furniture?

Discussion in 'Home Matters' started by Miranda, Jan 28, 2010.

Register to become a member. It's Free
  1. Miranda

Miranda Senior Member Plus

We have a lot of black right now but I'd like to introduce some brown, is that acceptable or would that be tacky?

2. tcufrog

tcufrog Senior Member Plus

What's black and how do you want to introduce the brown? What shade of brown are you considering?
  3. Kris10_Bishop

Kris10_Bishop Senior Member

OMG... That would be so tacky. I don't know if I could ever come over your house again if you did that.
  4. Susan

Susan Senior Member Plus

I say mixing is fine most of the time. Esp if you are moving towards one color or style. Sometimes you just have to add things one piece at a time.
  5. Miranda

Miranda Senior Member Plus

Our living room and kitchen flow together. We have a black kitchen dinette, bar stools, coffee table/ottoman, appliances, accents like picture frames and such and black tv stand. I am wanting to get a new tv stand but the one I like is brown.

I'm just thinking that I don't want a lot of the same color and it would be cool to have a mixture of both brown and black so I wasn't committed to one or the other. BUT, I'm no designer and don't know what the rules are as far as mixing and matching. Our dining room table which is in another part of the house is brown and black and we have a black desk in that room as well so it seems like it would be ok but I'm not an expert.
  6. Marieblisa

Marieblisa Senior Member

I hope it does. We have a dark brown console for the TV with a black bookcase and 3 black frames above it. And honey brown oak coffee table/side tables. I never thought any of it looked totally out of place.
  7. Purple

Purple Senior Member Plus

I'm an expert at everything and I say go for it!

But really, go for it! That's a cool tv stand. :)
  8. lyssasmama

lyssasmama Senior Member

We have brown and black furniture in our living room...I like it because it doesn't look so uniform, ya know? Although, I guess it probably depends on the color brown..some browns might not look right, I'm not a designer though!
  9. TheatreMama

TheatreMama Senior Member Plus

I've done black and brown all over my house - especially in my living room, dining room and master bedroom. I think it looks great! So, maybe its just how you put it together and in what proportion. My rule is if something doesn't look or feel right to you, then change it. If you look at it and it feels right, then stick with it!
  10. abbie'smommy

abbie'smommy Senior Member Plus

11. RenCareBear

RenCareBear Senior Member Plus

I am a designer and black/brown do go together as long as they are the right hues. Like I wouldn't do a black and a taupe, but that is just me. They look wierd to me like they ran out of cream so they put a taupe in its place, but what do I know. :giggle Medium to darker browns go great with black IMO.
  12. kimmyg

kimmyg Senior Member Plus

I say go for it! :)
  13. smaki1209

smaki1209 Senior Member Plus

All of the furniture in our living room is black, with the exception of our couch, which is a chocolate brown color. You wouldn't even know it was brown, except that's what it said on the tag.
  14. Miles2Grow

Miles2Grow Senior Member

My rocking chair is black on the back, arms and rockers...brown on the seat. I love the look of it.
  15. AnakM

AnakM Senior Member Plus

My TV, speakers, entertainment center and dining table and chairs are black. My couch is dark chocolate and our barstools are dark cherry - as is most of the wood in the house. I think it looks fine.

Go for it!
  16. Sara&Evan

Sara&Evan Senior Member Plus

I think it would be fine...maybe even it out with a few brown accents in other parts of the room. A single piece of furniture that has both colors in it might also help tie it all together. Personally, I think the mixed look has a lot more style to it...using all the same furniture color and style tends to look too matchy-matchy.