How long is turkey pepperoni good?

Discussion in 'Food and Nutrition' started by Beth Red, Feb 1, 2009.

Advertising

Register to become a member. It's Free
  1. Beth Red

Beth Red Senior Member Plus

After it is opened, how long is turkey pepperoni good for? I opened it a 2-3 weeks ago. Is it cool if I throw it in the freezer now until I need it next week? Or is it probably expired?

2. Advertising

3. Bri

Bri Senior Member Plus

I've always gone with the one-week rule for opened packages of meats, but I don't know if it applies to pepperoni too. My kids loooove turkey pepperoni, and there have been a few times that they've inhaled the rest of a package before I remembered that we probably shouldn't have eaten it!

We haven't gotten sick yet, knock on wood. Maybe the amount of salt and preservatives in the pepperoni (as compared to sliced ham, for example) keep it safer, longer? If it were me, personally, I'd freeze it and use it later. That may not be the technically correct answer, though.

4. RenCareBear

RenCareBear Senior Member Plus

Does it say how long it is good on the package once opened by chance? I always go by the 1 week rule too for packages of cooked meats (sandwich). Pepperoni is different though, so I would think would be ok for 2 weeks, I probably would just freeze it.

5. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member Plus

I agree with the ladies. I would freeze it.. I think pepperoni lasts forever :) !!!

6. Beth Red

Beth Red Senior Member Plus

Pepperoni is made out of salt, wood, and rubber, right? So it should last a while. :lol The expiry date applies to unopened packages.

7. evysmama

evysmama Senior Member Plus

I'm with the PPs who say pepperoni lasts forever! :lol I don't know that I'd bother freezing it though since I'd forget how short the shelf life is supposed to be when I take it back out. :bag I'd either keep it out or just toss it and buy a new one.

Advertising