How do I make tomatoes last longer?

Discussion in 'Food and Nutrition' started by Beth Red, May 17, 2008.

Advertising

Register to become a member. It's Free
  1. Beth Red

Beth Red Senior Member Plus

What's the best way to keep uncut tomatoes? I know you don't refrigerate them until they've been cut, but mine are getting mushy pretty fast on the counter.

2. Advertising

3. Purple

Purple Senior Member Plus

My mom bought Green Bags and swears by them. Also, a reporter on a Fox Affiliate in another city did a Deal or Dud segment on them and found them to be a good deal.

(there's noise at that website...just FYI)

4. Susannah

Susannah Senior Member Plus

You can get the green bags at Bed Bath and Beyond now. I was thinking about getting some.

5. maternus.aeternum

maternus.aeternum Senior Member Plus

i use the green bags. they REALLY DO work!

refrigerating tomatoes makes their flavor diminish, BUT i do put them in there in summer if i buy a bunch, and just still eat them fast. otherwise it seems like one day and they're gone. i CANNOT tolerate even slightly mushy/mealy tomatoes.

6. Chera25

Chera25 Senior Member Plus

:yeah I can't stand warm fruits, so we refrigerate everything but bananas (I'm allergic so it doesn't matter to me anyway lol)... we just only ever buy enough to eat right away.

7. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Guest

How quickly are they getting mushy? I buy Lemley's tomatoes down at Dallas Farmer's Market in the summer, around 10 at a time, and they keep for a good week on my kitchen windowsill. Where are you buying your tomatoes, and what kind are they? A good tomato shouldn't get mushy very quickly.

A warm, summer, east Texas grown tomato, lightly salted, is PURE HEAVEN. Yum. I can't wait for tomato season to officially start!

8. mickide

mickide Senior Member Plus

I keep mine in the fridge..

9. nane

nane Senior Member Plus

:yeah

10. Marci

Marci Senior Member Plus

I always keep mine in the fridge!

11. Shananigans

Shananigans Senior Member Plus

I have always kept mine in the fridge as well, but my grandmother kept them in the window. Mine seem to last long enough.

Advertising