~ 6 Year Old With Acne *New Photo #20* ~

Discussion in 'All About Kids' started by Jamie, Jul 21, 2009.

Register to become a member. It's Free
  1. Jamie

Jamie Senior Member Plus

My poor girl. She already has an acne problem. I am so afraid of what this is going to mean for the teenage years.

She gets little ones all the time on her face and arms. And then yesterday morning she woke up with this on her face...

Is this normal? We have been working on improving her face washing for about 6 months now because of this but that hasn't helped much. What can I do for barely 6 year old skin?

2. Hani

Hani Senior Member Plus

Poor girl! Do you think it is an allergic reaction to something? My sil gets just like that when any nickel touches her skin.
  3. Cami

Cami Senior Member Plus

Are you sure it's acne? I would talk to your ped. about it. When my kids had mollosum it looked similar to acne--having a pustule like that.
  4. Traci_CB_AJ

Traci_CB_AJ Senior Member Plus

Both of my boys have had a little acne but not very often and they are 6 and 8. I am curious to see what other people say.
  5. Piper McGee

Piper McGee Senior Member

dermatologist. I'd rec mine, but she barely has any bedside manner for adults, so I can't imagine her with children.

my sister used to rep dermatological drugs. you're right, face washing will do very little to improve acne bc the pimples form waaaay below the surface. usually the whitehead you see above the skin began developing up to two weeks earlier.

6 yr old skin is so "virgin." maybe she just needs an antibiotic? anyone have a rec for a derm who is friendly? cuz mine's not.
  6. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Senior Member Plus

I would have it checked out. I don't think it is acne at her age.
    Also, I would go easy on cleansers for her face...does she really need it? We don't cleanse any faces here (separate from baths and a severely messy face) and we have never had an issue with anything like acne.
    I think that acne is due more to hormones? Surely, she is not entering puberty?
  7. 3apples

3apples Senior Member Plus

google keratosis pilaris and see if you think that might be what it is. with this one being a more irritated version. i don't think a 6 year old with acne is normal...but i think that perhaps it could be something else that looks like acne. if it truly is acne, i think you might consider checking her hormone levels. PM if you have questions.
  8. Helen B

Helen B Senior Member Plus

How am I suppose to post after Grace chimes in? ;) Does she consume much dairy? Could it be a dairy allergy?
  9. Jenzo

Jenzo Senior Member Plus

:yeah Emma has KP all over her arms (like her mommy) but it isn't a severe version. I agree to just get it looked at in case.
  10. Gabi

Gabi Senior Member Plus

Sami (10) gets clogged pores/acne, especially in the summer time. It seems to be a combination of sweat and sun block. Whenever she wears a hat in winter, she'll get a row of them where the hat touches her forehead (where she sweats from playing).
  11. Nikki

Nikki Senior Member Plus

Are there any other signs of early puberty?
    Breast buds, smelly armpits, hair etc?
    I would speak to your pediatrician about it.

The only other thing I can think of is if its just started with summer.
    Sunscreen clogs my pores something horrible and if Im not careful about washing it all off when we are done outside I can have nasty full fledge acne in no time.
  12. Julia

Julia Senior Member Plus

Lauren used to get a pimple here and there. Just one. I just left them alone.

And yes, sunscreen is horrible for the pores. But a necessary evil for my fair children born to a family full of skin cancer patients. Lauren's had about four pimples this summer - usually in the T zone.

Lauren has started the early stages of puberty and will be 10 soon. I think we will most likely be purchasing some Proactive in Jr. High as her dad had an issue with acne.

I didn't have acne until mid-life (so unfair acne and wrinkles all at once :( )

I don't think I would worry about it one bit. You could put a little drying agent direct on the pimple before bed. Maybe a face cleaning towlette to wash off sunscreen? Just ponds towlettes and maybe toothpaste to dry out the pimple. If you have some proactive mask. I put that direct on the pimple and go to sleep and it comes off the next morning when I'm getting ready. Makes the pimples smaller until they dry up.
    However i have a different kind of pimple (the hormonal mid-life kind that are persistant and don't have a head on them).

What were your teen years like - or dad's? At least there are so many more products on the market for this then when we were kids. All we had was Oxyclean pads and those were wicked drying agents. LOL

Witch Hazel is good for future reference.......inexpensive and calms the angry skin.
  13. Jamie

Jamie Senior Member Plus

We only wash her face during bath. I have just had her pay more attention to it. Instead of a quick wash over, actually using a washcloth to wash her face. Basically, teaching her to start washing herself without our help and doing it well. Those nasty ears. Ick. Oh and the poor girl has that neck thing going on. The rolls. So she has to pay extra attention to the one roll. Otherwise it is gross. Anyway, I am getting off topic. We have only used soap on her face. Nothing more. I have only ever used soap on my face. Ever.

See, she has been getting them for a long time. Prior to sunscreen. Usually just one or two. But this summer there is usually two or three all the time. I figured it was sunscreen and sweat, and just kept working with her to make sure she washes all that off. But we got a little too much sun a week ago, so we have stayed inside all week. No sunscreen. And then this one popped up. This one does not look like the others though. This was a much bigger more irritated one.

We have been noticing her hair on her legs and arms lately. Very prominent. Lots of it. I haven't checked her armpits though.
  14. ambhi08

ambhi08 Senior Member Plus

I haven't read through the whole thread yet but I seriously think you should cut dairy out of her diet. DH has an allergic reaction through his pores (aka Acne) whenever he has anything dairy. His homeopathic doctor did a VERY simple test that I can come over and show you to find out if she has that allergy.

PM me if you'd like me to swing by.
  15. simplyme

simplyme Senior Member Plus

hormone levels were my thought too. you might do a check of foods that she's eating like milk products that may contain hormones,
  16. Jamie

Jamie Senior Member Plus

Does your thyroid have anything to do with hormones??
  17. RenCareBear

RenCareBear Senior Member Plus

Yes. Here is Wiki's info on thyroids.

The thyroid controls how quickly the body burns energy, makes proteins, and how sensitive the body should be to other hormones.
    The thyroid participates in these processes by producing thyroid hormones, principally thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). These hormones regulate the rate of metabolism and affect the growth and rate of function of many other systems in the body. Iodine and tyrosine are used to form both T3 and T4. The thyroid also produces the hormone calcitonin, which plays a role in calcium homeostasis.
    The thyroid is controlled by the hypothalamus and pituitary. The gland gets its name from the Greek word for "shield", after the shape of the related thyroid cartilage. Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) and hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) are the most common problems of the thyroid gland.

This might be helpful too: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/thyroid_problems/article_em.htm
  18. Jamie

Jamie Senior Member Plus

Thanks. I think I will take her in just to check it out. With the thyroid concerns last check up and now this. Can't hurt.
  19. mothragirl

mothragirl Senior Member Plus

*broken record alert*
    does she take cod liver oil? acne is a symptom of something else going on in your body, treating the skin won't treat the root of the problem. cod liver oil will usually help acne and almost always treat keratosis pilaris. a teaspoon a day.
  20. Jamie

Jamie Senior Member Plus

Ok, so I was able to get a shot of the little ones she has all the time.