Advertise on DAM

VigLink badge

Go Back   DFW Area Moms > Family Life > All About Families > Home Matters

Notices

Register to become a member. It's Free!

Old 07-31-2005 Sunday, 09:43 AM
Maggie_K

How to get crayon off a chalkboard...lol

Well, I went searching for this today because it took exactly 2 days for Colleen to color on the chalk side of the new easel we just bought for them....A REAL WINNER OF A TOY BY THE WAY.

We have been looking for this particular Step 2 easel for quite a while and I was happy to find it at Walmart for under 30 buck! It has dry-erase on one side (that works great with magnets) and chalk on the other...with a try that holds crayon/chalk/magnets in between. :thumb

Anyway, I thought this tip might be handy for someone else, too...and lets hear it for Baking Soda! lol

Dear Heloise: Is there a way to get crayon off of a chalkboard? Tricia, via e-mail

Tricia, oh my do we have an artist in the house?
Here's the hint to solve the problem: You can put a piece of brown grocery bag over the crayon marking and carefully iron it with a warm (NOT hot) iron. You can also use baking soda sprinkle some on a damp cloth or sponge and scrub until the marks are gone.
Then you can buy chalkboard paint, which can be found at most paint stores, to make the surface like new again. You might have to call around, as we had to check with a few places until we found one that carried the paint.
Baking soda is a great cleaner and deodorizer, and it's cheap, too! For great money-saving hints on ways to use baking soda around the house, please send $4 and a long, self-addressed, stamped (60 cents) envelope for the six-page pamphlet to: Heloise/Baking Soda, P.O. Box 795001, San Antonio, TX 78279-5001.
Keep an empty spice shaker filled with good ol' baking soda. It will be handy to sprinkle on stinky dishcloths and sponges. Store it in the kitchen next to the sink, and you're ready to go. Put one in each bathroom to use as a good nonabrasive cleaner for sinks and tubs. Heloise
Old 07-31-2005 Sunday, 07:58 PM
cmacsmom

I have one of those Mr. Clean eraser sponge things and it works great at getting crayon off of everything, including the chalkboard.
Old 07-31-2005 Sunday, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacsmom
I have one of those Mr. Clean eraser sponge things and it works great at getting crayon off of everything, including the chalkboard.
I second the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for crayons! Somehow Kaleigh had crayons in her armoire drawer and found them during nap time. Needless to say, she colored the WHOLE room... furniture, bedding, walls, TV, EVERYTHING! The Magic Eraser took it off EVERY surface! I'm a believer. LOL