Sponsored Links

Advertise on DAM

VigLink badge

Go Back   DFW Area Moms > General Discussions > The Kitchen Table

Notices

Register to become a member. It's Free!

Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 09:59 AM

Camping equipment

We are planning on going camping with our 2 kids next week, but we have NO camping equipment yet. I know this is an investment and we plan on camping much more in the future. I want to buy good quality stuff, but don't want to spend a fortune (REI) if we can avoid it! Any recommendations for where to go for camping equipment? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Register to become a member. It's Free!

Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 11:08 AM

Academy is where you can get everything affordably
Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 11:41 AM

Are you a Costco member? They have tents and some accessories. The best thing about buying there is that you can return them easily if you try them out and they don't work for you.
Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 12:38 PM

Walmart and target have a decent supply of things that are well made and will last. our tent is a target clearance tent and we've had it for 5 yrs, probably camped at least 2x per year with the scouts and had no problems with it, no tears yet. etc.
easy return policy too, 3 mos. no matter where you buy you'll run into good and bad quality items, so if they break or don't last like you think they should, just return them within the time frame.
Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 01:44 PM
Sounding Board

Can you borrow from someone? Lots of people have camping equipment that sits in their attic for longer than it gets used.
Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 02:04 PM
Sounding Board

We got our huge 10 person tent at Costco a few years ago. It is a Coleman Weathermaster 10. LOVE it. I don't think they have it anymore, though. It has a hinged door...it's amazing.

There really isn't a whole lot you have to have. Tent, sleeping bags, cots or air mattress and a pump (if you'll be camping somewhere with water and electric, get an electric pump...it'll make your life easier). If you don't plan on cooking solely over a fire, bring a propane stove and some camping pots and pans and mess kits. We actually found the best set at REI and it really wasn't terribly pricey. We got good pots and pans and a mess kit for 4.

We keep our cooking stuff and the non-refrigerated foods in a chuck box, but you don't *have* to.

Don't forget Dollar Tree for camping cooking tools. Just skip their can opener and go straight for one at Walmart. It is more expensive than Dollar Tree, but you won't curse your can opener.

As far as sleeping bags... We did get the girls the Kindercone ones from REI. They were WELL worth the cost. Mine is one from ****'s, I think. It is rated to 20 degrees. DH has one rated to 40, also from ****'s. I like the girls' sleeping bags better.

We joined REI so we could get a check for part of what we spent. Plus, we get free rock climbing on the weekends and we get discounts and garage sale days.

Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 02:10 PM
Sounding Board

Oh! Get campfire forks for smores. The kind that extends. You can get them at ****'s, Academy or even Walmart.

Also, I like to have two coolers. One for drinks and one for any meats or perishable foods. That way, when I open the cooler for drinks, I'm not exposing the meats to temp changes.

And I never camp without my Keurig, if possible. We usually have water and electric at our site, so we take the Keurig and instant oatmeal for breakfast one day, cocoa at night, etc.

Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 03:37 PM

For those wondering why Purple has ***** for a store name it's because it's been censored automatically it's
D*i*c*k*s sporting goods
Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 03:48 PM
Sounding Board

If you do end up buying your own tent, be sure and get a big one. A 4 person tent really doesn't hold 4 people. You want elbow room and also room for all your stuff.
Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 04:30 PM

I am a huge Academy fan!

Wifey to Brad and momma to the munchkin (3/21/14) + 3 incredible rescues
Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 05:45 PM

I would check out REI Outlet http://www.rei.com/outlet I bought all my gear there and got amazing stuff for a good deal.
Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyAnn View Post
If you do end up buying your own tent, be sure and get a big one. A 4 person tent really doesn't hold 4 people. You want elbow room and also room for all your stuff.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we are a family of 3 and have a 5-6 person tent and it is barely enough room. we can put a queen size air mattress and two cots (slim cots) and there's just enough room at our feet to put our clothing bags. NOT BIG ENOUGH. so pick something more than double the family size that you have or larger.
I'd also recommend getting one with zip up windows. many these days have just screen windows and the only covering you have is to put the rain tarp on top. if it's cold outside the wind will still blow in around the rain tarp.

Last edited by simplyme; 03-06-2013 Wednesday at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 06:40 PM
Sounding Board

Yep, our 10-person tent is good for our family of 4 and Golden Retriever.

Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 08:26 PM

I would like to add a warning from a childhood experience with large/tall tents... if forecast says potential bad weather or wind, make sure to get hefty stakes (I wouldn't rely on the wimpy ones that come with the tent). Ours are big and long and heavy metal. The wind can rip cheap tent stakes out of the ground, and the taller the tent, the easier it blows over. I think the better ones come with extra ropes for support.
Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 08:42 PM

Academy!
Intex air mattress, they all leak, just accept it, but the Intex(k?) seems to hold up better. We also got our tent at Sams and LOVE it, I saw one similar the other day. Think cabin tent, not dome, Horrible to stand in. Always put the rain fly on the tent, if you don't it will rain, LOL. We have a chuck box, it is one my Dad made in the 70's, but you could use a box for cooking utensils and non-perishable food. I also like having two coolers (get the ones that are wheeled!) one for drinks, one for things that can spoil. Bass Pro and Cabelas have lots of stuff too. Good LUCK!