Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 01:19 AM

Naked in public

At what age did you stop changing you kid in public

Sponsored Links
Register to become a member. It's Free!

Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 06:28 AM
Sounding Board

We never really changed our kids in public.. Maybe a diaper or two but we would do it in the back of the SUV with it closed...
Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 06:46 AM
Sounding Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
We never really changed our kids in public.. Maybe a diaper or two but we would do it in the back of the SUV with it closed...

Maybe an ermegency diaper, but I was pretty much always in a restroom or at least a semi-private area for diapers. Other than that, I never changed my kids in public (clothes, I am assuming).
Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 07:15 AM
Sounding Board

Last edited by GFA81; 10-02-2013 Wednesday at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 07:19 AM

DD is 2 and I'll still use the back of the SUV if I need to, though I try to shield her body and work fast. Other than that, restrooms are the only public place we use now. (Gosh, I'm remembering back to all those emergency changes in file rooms, waiting room floors, etc. when she was tiny. LOL!)
Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 07:25 AM
Sounding Board

I picked two because if I had to strip my two year old down to change a dirty outfit, I would have. Probably even up to 3. But those cases were rare. Now, at 4, 6, and 8, I make the strip in the back yard all the time coming out of the pool! But no one can see them there.
Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 07:43 AM

When it bothered them, I think it was about age 4. I rarely had a reason to change their clothes in public though.

They would put their swimsuits on by the pool with all the cousins / aunts / uncles, without a second thought, until they were about six. DD has to change at girls camp and PE class in the girls locker.

I think it is good to have modesty but you don't want to go to extreme that they are ashamed by their nude body.

So I just follow THEIR lead and respect their level of modesty, it will develop on its own. They do go through phases during puberty where they are more modest, especially if they are early or late bloomers.
Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 08:47 AM
Sounding Board

Since this goes up to age 7 I'm guessing it means clothes...

There have been very few times I've needed to change my kid's clothes in public. If it's a quick shirt change I just do it as fast as I can. If it's a pants/skirt change I wait until I can get to a restroom or private area. I know on one occasion I had someone hold up a blanket as a privacy screen and made the change as quickly as possible - but that only works if I have another person with me and a blanket.

All that said, I've tended to avoid it at all ages.

A8|N6|M4
Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia View Post
When it bothered them, I think it was about age 4. I rarely had a reason to change their clothes in public though.

They would put their swimsuits on by the pool with all the cousins / aunts / uncles, without a second thought, until they were about six. DD has to change at girls camp and PE class in the girls locker.

I think it is good to have modesty but you don't want to go to extreme that they are ashamed by their nude body.

So I just follow THEIR lead and respect their level of modesty, it will develop on its own. They do go through phases during puberty where they are more modest, especially if they are early or late bloomers.

I tend to still do quick changes in the car - if we are heading out and someone stains a shirt I might just change them in the car. Last summer while we were OOT on vacation we stopped at a park and they played in a river -had a blast, but they got soaked unexpectedly. We quickly changed them in the back of the SUV -not many people were around. If it came up again I'd probably do it again without much thought. But it doesn't really come up too often.

Avatar by the always amazing Kandi!
Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 09:17 AM

Sorry I meant clothing. I felt uncomfortable recently by a 4 year old changing in public not very discretely. Not that I care but Logan is getting to the age where he notices these things. Love the mom and can't say anything. Was wondering if I was just odd to be bothered.

Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 09:19 AM

To answer my own question I would do a quick very discrete change out of a bathing suit till Logan was 3 and a half but that was it.

Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 10:37 AM

Depends what you mean by public. If you mean like at a community pool or in a busy parking lot, then I suppose 3 or 4 was when I started making a more conscious effort to be discrete with DS. He's 6 now, and he would prefer to cover up a bit in a public place like that. DD is 2 and I change her in the back of the SUV (door open) all the time. Also, we live on a golf course, and the kids skinny dip in our backyard pool often. I figure that if the golfers don't want to see anything, they should be better at keeping their eye on the ball...lol!

Now, if by 'public', you mean in front of friends...well, then you better just not be friends with me if you can't handle a little nudity.... I just let my kids be the guide here. If they prefer to go in their room to change, fine. If they are happy to do it in the living room in front of our guests, that's fine by me too. Now at other's homes, I would take them to the bathroom in most cases...unless i KNOW it's a friend I know is completely cool with it.
Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 11:13 AM

I answered 3 but I just remembered that last Saturday my daughter had on a long sleeve shirt and I pulled it off real quick in a parking lot to switch to a short sleeve shirt. She turned 4 in January.
~*~ facebook ~*~ blog ~*~

Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 12:40 PM

Age 1, except for attempt at a discreet change in a parking lot (in the car, tried to block view ) when DS got soaked while at a river recently. I've seen parents change 5 year olds down to their birthday suits at the place we did swim lessons... was sort of surprised by that!
Old 03-29-2012 Thursday, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathmom07 View Post
Age 1, except for attempt at a discreet change in a parking lot (in the car, tried to block view ) when DS got soaked while at a river recently. I've seen parents change 5 year olds down to their birthday suits at the place we did swim lessons... was sort of surprised by that!
I guess we totally did that last year -in the swim instructors back yard. I never thought much about it. My kids were not quite 4. I guess I need to figure out a new system for this summer.

Avatar by the always amazing Kandi!