Sponsored Links

VigLink badge

Go Back   DFW Area Moms > General Discussions > Hobbies and Interests

Notices

Register to become a member. It's Free!

Old 05-27-2009 Wednesday, 10:56 PM
Sounding Board

Cake Decorating Class Near Plano

Just wondering if there are any classes or instructors in East Plano/Richardson/North Garland/Allen for cake decorating... Hubby wants to let me take one.

But I have a few no-nos while I'm looking... I don't want a Wilton class if I can help it, and I'd really rather not go to Cakes Amore. They are great if I just need a supply or two, but they've got pretty bad reviews over all.

Any where else? Or anyone want to teach me?

Mom of Two Happy Boys
Wombsitter to a gorgeous little girl
Owned by Princess Zoey

Sponsored Links
Register to become a member. It's Free!

Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 05:45 AM

I've been planning to take the classes at Cake Carousel. I've heard nothing but rave reviews from former students.
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 05:51 AM
Sounding Board

What about Hobby Lobby or Michaels? I know Hobby Lobby has cake decorating classes and I would imaging Michael's would too.
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 05:51 AM
Sounding Board

That's the place I was trying to think of. That's in Downtown McKinney right?
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 05:57 AM

Hobby Lobby and Micheal's are both Wilton. I took my classes at Micheal's. Cake Carousel is in Richardson at 75 and Araphano.
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 06:09 AM
Sounding Board

I took a class at Celebrate Cakes in Garland off of Saturn before you get to Northeast Hwy. Alas...Wilton. Sorry. It was fun though!
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 06:20 AM
Sounding Board

So for us non-decorators, what's the deal with Wilton vs non-Wilton?
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 07:03 AM

Mandy, I have no idea. I like Wilton and I had fun in their classes and learned a lot. Except for their fondant, I think they're great and good for beginners. Now to learn the advanced stuff, going through a bakery would be best because they teach a lot more techniques.
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 07:07 AM

I took Wilton part 1 and I learned a lot but then again I didn't know much. I am hoping to take more later! They are always running specials on their classess too so it ends up being really reasonable!
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 07:08 AM

I have heard bothing but good things about Cake Carousel in Richardson.

As for Wilton vs Non Wilton- I personally see the difference as the Wilton classes are there to teach the basics that have not really changed much over the years, and sell wilton products. Non Wilton may still teach the basics but may teach other new ways to do the same things....and they are not required to use wilton products so it allows for more creativity I think. (like using a spackle tool from the hardware store to help smooth icing instead of a regular cake spatula...much easier.)
my yummy creations: creativesweetshoppe.com
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 07:19 AM

I did my classes through the CCCC Continuing Education, It was alittle more expensive but so worth it.

Married to Michael
Mummy to Carter
Little Miss Lucy born January 27th 2010
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 07:22 AM

Jen, that's a very good point! My Wilton instructor hated me because I never gave into her product placement. I was there just to learn the basics, not just buy the products. I was also taking classes simultaneously from a bakery in Richmond and the Wilton lady would get irritated when I did things the way the bakery taught me instead of the Wilton way.

I think Wilton is good for people who just want to learn the basics or as introductory to decide if cake decorating is something you seriously want to pursue.
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dance2874 View Post
I have heard bothing but good things about Cake Carousel in Richardson.

As for Wilton vs Non Wilton- I personally see the difference as the Wilton classes are there to teach the basics that have not really changed much over the years, and sell wilton products. Non Wilton may still teach the basics but may teach other new ways to do the same things....and they are not required to use wilton products so it allows for more creativity I think. (like using a spackle tool from the hardware store to help smooth icing instead of a regular cake spatula...much easier.)
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 12:04 PM
Sounding Board Lead

I have taken classes from Cakes Amore and I would use them again in the future. I think they are great. They are a Wilton class, but it's a good base. I don't see any problem with learning the Wilton style and they encourage you to go from there. Just like driving lessons, different instructors have different methods, but the end result is the same.

For other classes (cupcakes, cookies, chocolates) I use Cake Carousel. But they book up rather quick.

Or just get some decorating books and try the techniques at home. I own lots of books and learn something new from each one. It just takes lots of practice with boards and fake cakes.
Old 05-28-2009 Thursday, 12:12 PM

I'd recommend taking some classes at Cake Carousel. They don't teach the Wilton method (blech...), though, if that's what you're looking for. Also, have you ever just googled methods? Or YouTube'd it? You can get some great instruction online. From there, you can just practice practice practice. I've taken 2 classes at CC almost 7 years ago and they'll give you a good foundation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakesbyashley - Still trying to decide if I'll open a shop someday