Sponsored Links

Advertise on DAM

VigLink badge

Go Back   DFW Area Moms > General Discussions > The Kitchen Table

Notices

Register to become a member. It's Free!

Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 07:42 PM

Academy!
Intex air mattress, they all leak, just accept it, but the Intex(k?) seems to hold up better. We also got our tent at Sams and LOVE it, I saw one similar the other day. Think cabin tent, not dome, Horrible to stand in. Always put the rain fly on the tent, if you don't it will rain, LOL. We have a chuck box, it is one my Dad made in the 70's, but you could use a box for cooking utensils and non-perishable food. I also like having two coolers (get the ones that are wheeled!) one for drinks, one for things that can spoil. Bass Pro and Cabelas have lots of stuff too. Good LUCK!

Sponsored Links
Register to become a member. It's Free!

Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 07:58 PM

Thank you so much for all of the great info!!
Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfiregrl View Post
Always put the rain fly on the tent, if you don't it will rain, LOL.
with one exception. Once we put it up when there was no rain and strong wind, and the darn thing flapped in the wind all night long and I couldn't sleep with the noise. I almost got up at 3am to take it down. I guess there are worse things, but I am a grumpy camper if I don't get at least 5 hours sleep.
Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 08:47 PM
Sounding Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfiregrl View Post
Always put the rain fly on the tent, if you don't it will rain, LOL.
Haha! Yeah... We went camping in a severe thunderstorm once. DH and I were both awake watching the weather on our phones. It was, like, 2am. We were camping in Arkansas. FIL had even heard about the weather and was so worried about us that he couldn't sleep. He called DH's cell at midnight to warn us. Fortunately, no limbs broke on the trees and there was no major issue. We had one tiny little leak, but for the large part, our tent stayed completely dry thanks to the rain fly.

Also, get a tube of seam sealer. Set the tent up in your garage or yard and seal all the seams.

If you decide to get a canopy for shade and stuff, be sure to get some good stakes for that, too. If you don't take it down for a storm, at least lower it and stake it.

Glow sticks on the guy lines help you see them so you don't trip.

Pick your location carefully at the park. Being near the water is great...but being near the bathroom is better, especially if a storm comes through and you need shelter.

Old 03-06-2013 Wednesday, 09:16 PM

Also don't forget a tarp to put under the tent! If there is no chance of rain, leave part of the tarp in front of the entrance of the tent and this way it can catch a bunch of the dirt before you enter the tent. We also tend to take off our shoes and leave them on that entrance so that it doesn't bring all the dirt inside the tent.

But make sure that the entrance of the tent isn't uphill and the back of the tent is downhill. My DH did that once when he went camping in college and then it rained and all the rain landed on the tarp and ran right down the tarp under the tent, and they all got wet. So if it is going to rain, fold the tarp up so that it is under the tent on all four sides.

Also bring a small broom/dust pan so that you can sweep up the inside of the tent before you roll it up. We unstake it, unzip the door and turn it upside down and shake as much dirt out as we can, and then sweep it.

Can you tell my dad was a little OCD about leaving dirt in the tent when we were camping.

Down the road, you can look at the damage goods sale at REI. They have it several times a year. This is where I've bought all of my camping equipment for steals of a deal. I got a $250 six man tent for $65 because it had a bent pole. I went downstairs and bought a new pole for $5. You are able to set up the tents and check out the equipment before buying. So all of my hiking shoes, tents, backpacks, etc. have come from the damaged goods sales.

"Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. This is the miracle of life." Maureen Hawkins

Old 03-07-2013 Thursday, 07:13 AM
Sounding Board

We have had bad, bad luck with tents. I am super frugal and the next time we buy one I will be reading reviews carefully and probably springing for a sturdier, more expensive one.

We borrowed a tent from a friend when we went camping at Big Bend. We were chaperoning a bunch of high school students. It looked really nice and had one of the little "porch" things in the front. The first night we were there, a cold front blew in....they seriously have crazy weather down there, and the poles on the porch part snapped. No problem. it was still usable. The next night the whole thing collapsed on us. We had to kick some of the kids out of their tent and put them in another so we'd have a place to sleep.

We bought a Coleman brand tent a couple of years ago and dh and ds took it to Mineral Wells state park. Again, the second night the tent poles broke. Dh called to get replacement poles and they were so expensive it didn't even make sense to buy new ones.

So, IMO you get what you pay for!
Old 03-07-2013 Thursday, 07:20 AM
Sounding Board

Jen, how do you know when they are having a damaged goods sale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen5253 View Post
Also don't forget a tarp to put under the tent! If there is no chance of rain, leave part of the tarp in front of the entrance of the tent and this way it can catch a bunch of the dirt before you enter the tent. We also tend to take off our shoes and leave them on that entrance so that it doesn't bring all the dirt inside the tent.

But make sure that the entrance of the tent isn't uphill and the back of the tent is downhill. My DH did that once when he went camping in college and then it rained and all the rain landed on the tarp and ran right down the tarp under the tent, and they all got wet. So if it is going to rain, fold the tarp up so that it is under the tent on all four sides.

Also bring a small broom/dust pan so that you can sweep up the inside of the tent before you roll it up. We unstake it, unzip the door and turn it upside down and shake as much dirt out as we can, and then sweep it.

Can you tell my dad was a little OCD about leaving dirt in the tent when we were camping.

Down the road, you can look at the damage goods sale at REI. They have it several times a year. This is where I've bought all of my camping equipment for steals of a deal. I got a $250 six man tent for $65 because it had a bent pole. I went downstairs and bought a new pole for $5. You are able to set up the tents and check out the equipment before buying. So all of my hiking shoes, tents, backpacks, etc. have come from the damaged goods sales.
Old 03-07-2013 Thursday, 07:28 AM
Sounding Board

Never mind, I found it. http://www.rei.com/event/49913/session/68701 It looks like you need to be a member to go?
Old 03-07-2013 Thursday, 08:07 AM

There is an online yard sale group in FB someone is selling a Timber Creek two man tent for $15 located at Marsh Ln/ George Bush.

Mommy to son J (5 yrs old) and new Baby Boy born 12/19/12

Wife to Dan

Our Furry Companions
Boots, Blackjack, Kitty
Old 03-07-2013 Thursday, 08:10 AM
Sounding Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymom2008 View Post
There is an online yard sale group in FB someone is selling a Timber Creek two man tent for $15 located at Marsh Ln/ George Bush.
That's a great size to hold all the gear, not to fit a family.
Old 03-07-2013 Thursday, 01:44 PM

yep i was going to say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2 man tent will be comfortable for the dog.
Old 03-07-2013 Thursday, 03:39 PM
Sounding Board

Just FYI, Costco *does* have the Coleman Weathermaster 10-person tent still. It was $169.

They also have a really neat camping stove *with* a camping oven. I was so tempted by that.