Sponsored Links

Advertise on DAM

VigLink badge

Go Back   DFW Area Moms > Family Life > All About Families > Home Matters

Notices

Register to become a member. It's Free!

Old 07-04-2011 Monday, 09:17 AM
Sounding Board

I am all for doing what is best for the family and sometimes you have to sacrifice. DH and I would love a couple of acres and a big new house, but if it comes with DH driving a couple of hours a day, then it's not worth it to me. With DHs profession, we will always have to live close to Dallas proper. Right now, he is not working in downtown, but we know if he changes jobs, he will be back downtown. I am a small town girl, so I don't like long commutes. You just have to prioritize. My most imp priority is to have daddy home. I am even wanting DH to have not more than a 10-15 min commute. My dream is to have dad home for lunch.

If DH does have a long commute, realize that he will not be around a lot and the commute will tire him out. I don't know what his hours are, but if he is a 8-5er, he won't be at 6 or 7pm ballgames, programs even at dinner during the week. If something happens to a kid or you it will be about X hours till he can get home. I know ppl that have done it, but it's a different lifestyle from what I am wanting for my family.

Sponsored Links
Register to become a member. It's Free!

Old 07-04-2011 Monday, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbie'smommy View Post
If he works in Bedford, have you looked in Bedford?

Yes, we have looked in Bedford. The only thing in my price range is south of 183. No offense to anyone living in Bedford south of 183 but the houses I looked at were just like the neighborhood I live in now.

facebook

Old 07-04-2011 Monday, 09:50 AM

See my thinking was the houses in Bedford tend to be more affordable than other places around here.
Old 07-04-2011 Monday, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
I am all for doing what is best for the family and sometimes you have to sacrifice. DH and I would love a couple of acres and a big new house, but if it comes with DH driving a couple of hours a day, then it's not worth it to me. With DHs profession, we will always have to live close to Dallas proper. Right now, he is not working in downtown, but we know if he changes jobs, he will be back downtown. I am a small town girl, so I don't like long commutes. You just have to prioritize. My most imp priority is to have daddy home. I am even wanting DH to have not more than a 10-15 min commute. My dream is to have dad home for lunch.

If DH does have a long commute, realize that he will not be around a lot and the commute will tire him out. I don't know what his hours are, but if he is a 8-5er, he won't be at 6 or 7pm ballgames, programs even at dinner during the week. If something happens to a kid or you it will be about X hours till he can get home. I know ppl that have done it, but it's a different lifestyle from what I am wanting for my family.

The drive does worry me. The thing is, if dh does change jobs he would most likely be working in downtown Dallas which would be much closer to Rockwall. The job uncertainty is what makes this so hard. It is hard to buy a house right by a job and then change jobs in 2 years. The area is so spread out it is hard to pick a spot.

For dh's job field the Southlake area (off 114) or Colleyville would be the most ideal places to live, but those areas are not in my price range, not even for smaller cookie cutter homes

facebook

Old 03-07-2013 Thursday, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferM View Post
nm

facebook